Why Does a Personal Representative Need a Lawyer?

A personal representative is the individual appointed by the deceased to manage and administer his/her estate. Many people appoint a family member or trusted friend to serve as their personal representative. While this is a good choice for selecting somebody you know you can trust, the person may not have the skills or experience in handling estate administration. Therefore, it is often necessary for a personal representative to retain a knowledgeable lawyer to assist with the various tasks involved in administering the decedent’s probate estate.

The probate process is often complex and time-consuming, especially if there are disputes or difficult legal issues involved. The probate procedure involves many requirements and deadlines, which most non-attorneys are unfamiliar with (even most lawyers are not familiar with this process), and missing a deadline or mis-understanding the process can cause significant issues in a probate case.

A personal representative also has many obligations that must be fulfilled. Having an attorney to advise you of your rights and duties under the law is crucial. A fiduciary duty is imposed upon a personal representative, which also means that you can be held personally liable if you do not act accordingly. A lawyer that is on your side and is focused on protecting you will provide you the peace of mind that the estate is being handled professionally and that your interests are being safeguarded each step of the way.

If you have been appointed to serve as a personal representative and you are not sure where to start, call us for help. The sooner we get involved, the smoother the probate process will go. We will help ensure the case is handled correctly and efficiently.

The Astill Law Office has provided high quality legal services for over 30 years. We specialize in wills, trusts, estate planning, and asset protection. If you have any questions about creating a Trust, Will, or estate planning in general, contact The Astill Law Office at 801-438-8698.