Looking for the right nursing home for yourself or a loved one can be a complicated task. It is an important decision that should only be made after conducting due diligence. You should ask your friends and family for references, as well as look online for feedback. You should also visit and interview the staff at more than one facility. Below are some of the questions you should consider asking:
- What is involved in the admission process? Are there specific financial requirements?
- Is your nursing home certified by Medicaid and Medicare?
- What is included in the monthly fee? What are additional items that may be billed?
- How many staff members are on duty during each shift?
- How are staff members trained and screened?
- Are there extra-curricular or educational activities for the residents to attend?
- Do residents have access to transportation for errands or non-emergency medical services?
- Does the facility have a physician on the premises?
- Are residents allowed to go outside? If so, is the outdoor area safe?
- Will the resident have a roommate or share a bathroom with others?
- How are meals served? You may want to sample the food for yourself.
- How often will a resident’s plan of care by reviewed and/or updated?
- Can you observe your loved one by video to make sure they are not being abused?
- How do they control visitors of your family member?
The above list is not exhaustive, but it gives you an idea of some of the areas you should cover with each facility you tour. It is also important to select a living facility that is close to friends and family because having visitors is important to a resident’s well-being.
If you have questions regarding elder law matters, contact our knowledgeable attorneys for an initial consultation. The Astill Law Office has provided high quality legal services for over 30 years. We specialize in wills, trusts, estate planning, and asset protection. If you have any questions about creating a Trust, Will, or estate planning in general, contact The Astill Law Office at 801-438-8698.